Volunteers help spruce up village green
Group urge the public to keep off the flower beds after putting in months of voluntary work.
A GROUP of volunteers dedicating their time to sprucing up the village green are asking visitors to be mindful of the flower beds.
The Westward Ho! gardening volunteer group formed in June and meet regularly to maintain the new flower beds on the village green.
Ann Orm, of the group, said: “We are very proud of our village and that is why we decided to do this.
“We understand the council have got to cut back, and we wanted a really nice garden area everybody could enjoy.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of people have moaned about the new green, but sometimes you just have to roll your sleeves up and get on with it and that’s what we’ve done.
“We know children get excited when they see the new play equipment but we’d really like people to try and take care and not run over the flowerbeds after the hard work we’re putting in.”
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
- 10 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
The volunteers now all have their own t-shirts thanks to �80 donated by Westward Ho! Councillor Roger Tisdale.
Mrs Orm said: “Cllr Tisdale has been very helpful and we would like to thank him for his generous donation, we feel like a proper team now.”
Anyone interested in joining the group can contact Ann on firstname.lastname@example.org