Volunteers help spruce up village green
Group urge the public to keep off the flower beds after putting in months of voluntary work.
A GROUP of volunteers dedicating their time to sprucing up the village green are asking visitors to be mindful of the flower beds.
The Westward Ho! gardening volunteer group formed in June and meet regularly to maintain the new flower beds on the village green.
Ann Orm, of the group, said: “We are very proud of our village and that is why we decided to do this.
“We understand the council have got to cut back, and we wanted a really nice garden area everybody could enjoy.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of people have moaned about the new green, but sometimes you just have to roll your sleeves up and get on with it and that’s what we’ve done.
“We know children get excited when they see the new play equipment but we’d really like people to try and take care and not run over the flowerbeds after the hard work we’re putting in.”
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 4 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 7 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
The volunteers now all have their own t-shirts thanks to �80 donated by Westward Ho! Councillor Roger Tisdale.
Mrs Orm said: “Cllr Tisdale has been very helpful and we would like to thank him for his generous donation, we feel like a proper team now.”
Anyone interested in joining the group can contact Ann on email@example.com