Vital to sustain economic recovery
SIR - As I write it is not yet clear what the national outcome of the General Election is but I would like to express my thanks to those voted for me last Thursday. I m proud of what Labour has achieved in the last 13 years and I believe that North Devon
SIR - As I write it is not yet clear what the national outcome of the General Election is but I would like to express my thanks to those voted for me last Thursday.
I'm proud of what Labour has achieved in the last 13 years and I believe that North Devon has benefitted considerably from a Labour government.
I'm naturally disappointed that the Labour vote has fallen here but not altogether surprised given the national trend.
North Devon may not be seen as natural Labour territory, but I was encouraged by so many whom I met during the campaign. It is clear to me that Nick Harvey, whom I sincerely congratulate, has been returned to Parliament with the help of many Labour supporters who were determined not to let North Devon fall to the Conservatives.
You may also want to watch:
I hope that the will of the progressive majority in North Devon will prevail as we enter the uncertainties of the months ahead. It is vital that the economic recovery is not undermined, which is my fear if the Conservatives' plans are enacted. I also think it is essential that our political system is reformed, including the voting system, so that the will of the majority can be fully and fairly expressed.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
Labour Parliamentary Candidate,