Villagers set up ‘community pub’
Fremington people organise monthly ‘pub nights’ at Parish hall to raise money for local groups.
FAMILIES in Fremington plan to beat the winter blues by setting up their own community pub.
Fremington Community Group has arranged a series of monthly ‘pub nights’ at the Village Hall for families with children and to raise money for local groups.
Chairman Frank Biederman said it followed the closure of the Fox and Hounds pub, leaving the New Inn as the only other pub in the village.
“We are not looking to compete with anyone else, this would simply be somewhere families can go out for the evening and take their children,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“The New Inn is a fantastic pub with great food, a lovely place to go but not really big enough to hold events for families with large numbers of children.
“These are really one off community events, but we thought the name ‘Community Pub’ would give people something to look forward to.”
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 8 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
The first event on Saturday, January 26 will be a Disco, Curry and Quiz Night hosted together with Fremington Youth Football Club.
On Saturday, February 23 there will be live music, a fun casino with a James Bond theme and a bring-and-share supper, in association with Fremington Primary School PTFA.
On Saturday, March 23 there will be a Barn Dance plus a meal in conjunction with St Peter’s Parish Church.
“There are a lot of social enterprises going on now, which I think is the only way in the future that we are going to be able to raise money for the community and to enable many of these groups to continue,” said Mr Biederman.
The group is still seeking a name for the community pub. To make your suggestion or to find out more, visit www.fremingtoncommunity.com or call Frank Biederman on 07595 988704.