VIDEO: Nepalese stars do the curry house rock!
Barnstaple Mayor greets Asian ‘superstars’ during special restaurant visit
A QUIET Barnstaple shopping street was given a loud – and unusual – awakening by two of Nepal’s leading entertainment lights earlier today (Monday).
Folk singer Komal Oli and political comedian Manoj Gajurel both gave lively impromptu performances during a lunchtime visit to the Gurkha Nepalese restaurant in Market Street.
The performers are well-known to millions of people in their native Nepal, as well as many more around the world, with thousands of clips on YouTube bearing testimony to their popularity.
And they showed their star quality in front of a small invited audience including Mayor of Barnstaple Ian Roome.
You may also want to watch:
Within minutes of the visitors’ arrival the curry house became a hive of dance and song, with Cllr Roome among those who jumped at the chance to try out some Nepalese dancing for themselves.
“It was a real pleasure to be invited to meet two of Nepal’s biggest stars,” said Cllr Roome.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“To be able to welcome such distinguished visitors to the town just goes to show the richness of culture we have in Barnstaple.”
The entertainers are spending three days in Barnstaple as part of a tour of Nepalese communities in the Britain and Europe.
Singer Komal Oli thanked restaurant owner Som Bhetwal for promoting Nepal and Nepalese people in Barnstaple and presented the Mayor with a copy of her most recent DVD.
“We are a very poor country economically but our heart is very big,” she said.
CLICK on the link to the right to see a video clip of the afternoon’s fun.