Video: Lifeboat braves huge waves to reach stricken yacht
- Credit: Archant
Appledore crew’s 14-hour rescue off Hartland Point.
THE RNLI has released remarkable video footage of a rescue of a sailor in perilous seas off the coast of Hartland.
The Appledore RNLI all weather lifeboat battled through five-and-a-half-metre waves and strong gale force winds to reach a stricken yacht 10 miles south west of Hartland Point.
The volunteer lifeboat crew launched at 3.15pm to the assist a 23ft yacht that had suffered engine failure on Saturday, August 17.
But they did not get to bed until 6 the following morning, after a successful rescue totalling 14 hours.
You may also want to watch:
The lifeboat took the yacht under tow but due to the extreme conditions, had to shelter at Clovelly until the wind had dropped a little and the tide had risen sufficiently over the bar at Appledore to enable safe passage.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 8 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience