Video: Lifeboat braves huge waves to reach stricken yacht
- Credit: Archant
Appledore crew’s 14-hour rescue off Hartland Point.
THE RNLI has released remarkable video footage of a rescue of a sailor in perilous seas off the coast of Hartland.
The Appledore RNLI all weather lifeboat battled through five-and-a-half-metre waves and strong gale force winds to reach a stricken yacht 10 miles south west of Hartland Point.
The volunteer lifeboat crew launched at 3.15pm to the assist a 23ft yacht that had suffered engine failure on Saturday, August 17.
But they did not get to bed until 6 the following morning, after a successful rescue totalling 14 hours.
You may also want to watch:
The lifeboat took the yacht under tow but due to the extreme conditions, had to shelter at Clovelly until the wind had dropped a little and the tide had risen sufficiently over the bar at Appledore to enable safe passage.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash