VIDEO: Boyfriend proposes with a little help from McFly
Ben Beechey organised a specially recorded messaged from his girlfriend’s favourite boyband in surprise proposal.
A BRAUNTON girl received the surprise of her life on Friday when her boyfriend got down on one knee with a little help from her favourite boyband.
Tegan Lywood, 24, has followed McFly around the world during their career, but did not expect to see them talking to her from a giant screen when she entered her local pub.
Her boyfriend of seven months, Ben Beechey, 28, had spent weeks planning the surprise proposal and knew he wanted to do something special.
“Tegan has always loved McFly and I had the idea of trying to get them to record something,” explained Ben.
You may also want to watch:
“I found out I had mutual friends with one of their wives and through her managed to arrange for them to record a message.”
While Tegan went out for a meal with her work friends at Squires restaurant in Braunton, Ben was in the George Hotel next door gathering her friends and family and setting up a large screen.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
With her work friends in on the secret, she entered the pub with no idea what lay in wait for her.
“I saw Ben and then suddenly realised all my friends and family were there looking at me,” said Tegan.
“As soon as I saw everyone I knew something was going on, and then Ben told me he had something to show me.”
Suddenly McFly appeared on the big screen, wishing Tegan a merry Christmas before saying Ben had something to ask her.
That was the moment he got down on one knee, producing a diamond and ruby engagement ring he had picked in an antiques shop with Tegan’s mum, Teresa.
“I heard these voices coming from the screen before I saw it and knew it was McFly,” said Tegan.
“I couldn’t believe it, everything is just a blur from then, I just remember crying and squeaking ‘yes’.”
The couple first met when they both worked on a cruise ship, Tom as a singer and Tegan in the shop.
Wary of having a ‘ship romance’, they spent some time on land together and that, said Ben, was that.
The couple are now planning a wedding for June 2014. And the guests of honour?
“We’ll definitely send McFly an invite, as they were such a big part of the proposal.” said Ben.
“But who knows if they will turn up, we’ll have to wait and see.”