'Vast impact' of core strategy
SIR - I strongly object to the future plans within the North Devon Core Strategy. The many proposed housing sites are huge and will have a vast impact on both the local infrastructure, the roads and the environment. It will then have a detrimental impact
SIR - I strongly object to the future plans within the North Devon Core Strategy. The many proposed housing sites are huge and will have a vast impact on both the local infrastructure, the roads and the environment.
It will then have a detrimental impact on tourism that is attracted to the area by North Devon's idyllic charm.
Any new development should remain small and more aesthetically pleasing so as to improve community life and impose the least impact on the infrastructure and North Devon's beautiful environment.
Take the vast housing estate that has sprawled from Roundswell. It seems to have become the start of a huge conurbation that has been planned to stretch from Barnstaple to Bideford and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
With the development of Roundswell came the promise of a new school and other public amenities that were never built - only a maze of housing and industrial units can be seen. Moreover, the extra traffic from the estate causes daily traffic jams during peak rush hours and the holiday season.
Population growth and housing demand are inevitable and there is a definite need for more affordable housing. However, the recent and future proposed rate of growth is unsustainable. The Barnstaple area, including Fremington and Yelland, is expected to accommodate 6,000 more homes, Bideford and Northam 6,100 more homes, Ilfracombe about 1,800 more homes and South Molton about 1,200 more.
- 1 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 8 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 9 Stars taking part in the Queen's Theatre's 2021 pantomime announced
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
Maybe we should ask ourselves why so many more houses are being planned for this area and why so many more people are moving into this area?
This Labour Government and the overbearing EU have forced mass immigration on this country and the majority of people are furious about it.
England is now the most densely populated country in Europe, now at 1,023 people per square mile. It is twice that of France and four times that of Germany. We have always been a tolerant country, but enough is enough.
We can no longer sustain this population growth rate. We need to withdraw from the EU and look to a government that will consult the public on future plans that make such a vast impact on our lives.
Apathy must be replaced with action. It's about time we practised people power and impose our views on this Government as they do theirs on us.
Make a start by objecting to these overwhelming plans that are being forced upon us.
PPC for North Devon.