Vandals wreck Ilfracombe Christmas tree
SPOILSPORT vandals have wrecked Ilfracombe s Christmas tree. Thieves made their way past eight-foot fencing around the 25ft tree outside the Holy Trinity Parish Church to steal decorations as far as they can reach. It is believed that around half of the 1
SPOILSPORT vandals have wrecked Ilfracombe's Christmas tree.
Thieves made their way past eight-foot fencing around the 25ft tree outside the Holy Trinity Parish Church to steal decorations as far as they can reach.
It is believed that around half of the 100 bulbs have been taken from the town council-erected tree, officially lit up on December 2 at the town's big switch on event.
Vandals also left the area strewn with empty beer cans and litter.
You may also want to watch:
Local traders have called the act "mindless vandalism".
"They have spoiled it for the whole community," said shopkeeper Nick Pedlar, member of the High Street Traders' Association.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
"The decorations are part of the atmosphere of the community that has now been ruined for so many in the town, as well as visitors and those going into the church for the Christmas services.
Electrician Derek Bulled, who put the lights up on behalf of the council said: "No one ever seems to know or see anything but I would urge anyone that may have witnessed the incident to report it to the police.