Vandals wreck Ilfracombe Christmas tree
SPOILSPORT vandals have wrecked Ilfracombe s Christmas tree. Thieves made their way past eight-foot fencing around the 25ft tree outside the Holy Trinity Parish Church to steal decorations as far as they can reach. It is believed that around half of the 1
SPOILSPORT vandals have wrecked Ilfracombe's Christmas tree.
Thieves made their way past eight-foot fencing around the 25ft tree outside the Holy Trinity Parish Church to steal decorations as far as they can reach.
It is believed that around half of the 100 bulbs have been taken from the town council-erected tree, officially lit up on December 2 at the town's big switch on event.
Vandals also left the area strewn with empty beer cans and litter.
You may also want to watch:
Local traders have called the act "mindless vandalism".
"They have spoiled it for the whole community," said shopkeeper Nick Pedlar, member of the High Street Traders' Association.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 3 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 4 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 7 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
"The decorations are part of the atmosphere of the community that has now been ruined for so many in the town, as well as visitors and those going into the church for the Christmas services.
Electrician Derek Bulled, who put the lights up on behalf of the council said: "No one ever seems to know or see anything but I would urge anyone that may have witnessed the incident to report it to the police.