Vandals wreck Ilfracombe Christmas tree
SPOILSPORT vandals have wrecked Ilfracombe s Christmas tree. Thieves made their way past eight-foot fencing around the 25ft tree outside the Holy Trinity Parish Church to steal decorations as far as they can reach. It is believed that around half of the 1
SPOILSPORT vandals have wrecked Ilfracombe's Christmas tree.
Thieves made their way past eight-foot fencing around the 25ft tree outside the Holy Trinity Parish Church to steal decorations as far as they can reach.
It is believed that around half of the 100 bulbs have been taken from the town council-erected tree, officially lit up on December 2 at the town's big switch on event.
Vandals also left the area strewn with empty beer cans and litter.
You may also want to watch:
Local traders have called the act "mindless vandalism".
"They have spoiled it for the whole community," said shopkeeper Nick Pedlar, member of the High Street Traders' Association.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
"The decorations are part of the atmosphere of the community that has now been ruined for so many in the town, as well as visitors and those going into the church for the Christmas services.
Electrician Derek Bulled, who put the lights up on behalf of the council said: "No one ever seems to know or see anything but I would urge anyone that may have witnessed the incident to report it to the police.