Vandals attack Barnstaple school
More than 200 windows smashed in overnight raid
VANDALS have attacked the Park School in Barnstaple causing damage running into thousands of pounds.
More than 200 windows were smashed during the attack, which happened overnight.
Urgent action is now being taken to secure both the school and the sports hall, where planned events have had to be cancelled.
The sports hall is hired out during the evenings, weekends and holidays by North Devon Council.
You may also want to watch:
An event taking place today (Tuesday) had to go ahead because it was too late to contact all the participants. Measures were put in place to minimise the risk.
All other events have been cancelled for the time being, with urgent cleaning being arranged to remove the danger of broken glass, both inside and outside the facility.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 7 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
A North Devon Council spokesman said: “This weekend is one of the busiest of the year at the site, as the hall is due to host an annual hockey festival.
“ We are working very hard with the organisers to ensure we keep disruption to a minimum, but of course, the safety of users of the facility must take priority.”