Van ploughs into tree at Hatherleigh
- Credit: Archant
30-year-old airlifted to hospital with multiple fractures after early hours smash.
A Hatherleigh man was airlifted to hospital with multiple fractures after his VW van hit a tree so violently the engine ended up 25 yards away.
Emergency services were called to the cash on the A3861 at Pressland, Hatherleigh, in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Fire crews from Hatherleigh and Okehampton had to free his trapped legs from the wreckage and then gave him first aid until paramedics could arrive.
Police said the 30-year-old from Hatherleigh was airlifted to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth by search and rescue helicopter.
You may also want to watch:
They said he suffered multiple fractures plus a dislocated hip and shoulder, but the injuries were not thought to be life threatening or life changing.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 7 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 8 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 Brian Greenslade's name scraped off plaque after sex assault trial