Utility company road reinstatements 'still not acceptable'
DEVON County Council says that reinstatement of the county s roads by utility companies is still well below what it considers to be acceptable, despite an improvement in complying with required standards. The compliance rate of reinstatements by utility c
DEVON County Council says that reinstatement of the county's roads by utility companies is still well below what it considers to be acceptable, despite an improvement in complying with required standards.
The compliance rate of reinstatements by utility companies on Devon's highways increased from 55% in 2008 to 75% in 2009. With three quarters of their work up to par, this is the highest rate of compliance since the county council started reporting its annual 'coring' programme.
In the latest 'coring' programme, samples were taken from 197 randomly selected sites.Although there was an increase in compliance with the correct thickness of materials, there was still no significant improvement in compaction of the materials.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "I'm pleased to see that all of the utility companies have made progress over the past year, but I am concerned that overall the level of compliance is still not satisfactory and it has some way to go before it is. The county council will continue to work with these companies on this issue to ensure continual improvement in meeting their own specifications. Their work has to be done correctly, otherwise sub-standard reinstatements will continue to damage our roads, which are a valuable asset for the county, and that is just not acceptable."
You may also want to watch:
Utility companies have been given until this Friday to complete remedial works on the defective reinstatements which have been found in this year's programme.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 3 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 4 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 5 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 8 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 9 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 10 New food delivery service launched in Barnstaple