SIR – I was thrilled to see that Bideford Mayor, Cllr Andy Powell, is to take part in the forthcoming archaeological dig in North Carolina to look for evidence of the lost colonists who landed at Roanoke Island and who may or may not, therefore, be coun
SIR - I was thrilled to see that Bideford Mayor, Cllr Andy Powell, is to take part in the forthcoming archaeological dig in North Carolina to look for evidence of the 'lost' colonists who landed at Roanoke Island and who may or may not, therefore, be counted amongst the founders of the USA.
Perhaps while he is there he may also ponder on the 'lost' wastebins and dog mess containers between Old Town and the Quay and if any of the excavations happen to turn up the dilapidated empty old buildings and even a 'lost' building firm to do something with the old Grenville Nursing Home in Meddon Street before bits of it fall on top of some modern day Bidefordians, we would all be eternally grateful.
After all we want the Little White Town to be fit for purpose when all those hordes of American tourists descend bearing dollars and DNA testing kits, don't we?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 3 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes