SIR – I was thrilled to see that Bideford Mayor, Cllr Andy Powell, is to take part in the forthcoming archaeological dig in North Carolina to look for evidence of the lost colonists who landed at Roanoke Island and who may or may not, therefore, be coun
SIR - I was thrilled to see that Bideford Mayor, Cllr Andy Powell, is to take part in the forthcoming archaeological dig in North Carolina to look for evidence of the 'lost' colonists who landed at Roanoke Island and who may or may not, therefore, be counted amongst the founders of the USA.
Perhaps while he is there he may also ponder on the 'lost' wastebins and dog mess containers between Old Town and the Quay and if any of the excavations happen to turn up the dilapidated empty old buildings and even a 'lost' building firm to do something with the old Grenville Nursing Home in Meddon Street before bits of it fall on top of some modern day Bidefordians, we would all be eternally grateful.
After all we want the Little White Town to be fit for purpose when all those hordes of American tourists descend bearing dollars and DNA testing kits, don't we?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 3 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 7 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics