Updated: Several buildings involved in large fire at Winkleigh
- Credit: Archant
More than eight fire crews and four special appliances have been scrambled to the scene at West Chapple this afternoon (Thurs).
A MAN was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in two barns and a farmhouse at West Chapple, Winkleigh, on Thursday.
More than eight fire crews were scrambled to the scene at around 12.40pm after reports that gas cylinders and fertilisers were involved in the blaze.
One barn, which was corrugated with asbestos sheeting and contained 50 tonnes of straw, hay, fertilisers and farm machinery, was completely destroyed by the flames.
The second barn, which was used as a workshop and contained LPG gas cylinders, was also destroyed. One of the cylinders had exploded before crews arrived.
You may also want to watch:
A two-storey farmhouse linked to the bar received damage to the roof from the fire, and the owner was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and burns to his arms.
Crews from Witheridge, Bideford, Chulmleigh, North Tawton, South Molton, Torrington and Okehampton attended the scene as well as special appliances from Taunton, Crediton, Barnstaple and Bovey Tracey.
- 1 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 2 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 3 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 4 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 5 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 6 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 7 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 8 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 9 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
The cause of the fire was investigated and was believed to be accidental.