Updated: Man arrested after firearms incident in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
32-year-old was arrested after several hours of negotiating with police officers in Barnstaple town centre last night.
A 32-year-old man from Barnstaple has been arrested after reports he was allegedly threatening to harm himself and others with a gun.
Craig Lethaby, from Barnstaple, was charged with possession of an imitation firearm and will appear before North Devon Magistrates Court today (Wednesday).
Armed officers surrounded the property in Castle Street at around 4pm on Monday and closed off the road.
The public were warned to stay away from the area as officers spent several hours negotiating with the man.
You may also want to watch:
After more than three hours, the man surrendered himself and was arrested at 7.45pm.
A police spokesman said: “We would like to thank the local community for their cooperation and patience during the period the cordon was in place.”
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 4 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 5 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 6 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 7 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 10 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel