Updated: Man arrested after firearms incident in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
32-year-old was arrested after several hours of negotiating with police officers in Barnstaple town centre last night.
A 32-year-old man from Barnstaple has been arrested after reports he was allegedly threatening to harm himself and others with a gun.
Craig Lethaby, from Barnstaple, was charged with possession of an imitation firearm and will appear before North Devon Magistrates Court today (Wednesday).
Armed officers surrounded the property in Castle Street at around 4pm on Monday and closed off the road.
The public were warned to stay away from the area as officers spent several hours negotiating with the man.
You may also want to watch:
After more than three hours, the man surrendered himself and was arrested at 7.45pm.
A police spokesman said: “We would like to thank the local community for their cooperation and patience during the period the cordon was in place.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with serious assault in Barnstaple
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed