THE fire service is warning people to take care using angle grinders around combustible material after the second barn fire in a week. On Thursday afternoon, five-to-six tonnes of straw were severely damaged after a spark from an angle grinder caused them to catch on fire. Fire fighters from Holsworthy, Hartland and Bideford along with a water foam carrier from Barnstaple were scrambled to the scene at Billhole, Sutcombe at around 2.45pm. Neil Hole, Bideford station manager, said this was the fourth of fifth barn fire in recent weeks caused by using similar equipment. We had a couple in Holsworthy and then one near Instow last week all caused by sparks from angle grinders, he said. We want to make people aware of the danger of using angle grinders near combustible materials. Fire crews donned breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to combat the fire in the barn on Thursday. Once the fire had been contained they used the farmers machinery to drag the straw from the barn and continue to dampen it down. The crews worked very hard in hot conditions, added Neil. It was very lucky that only the straw was involved in this fire.