Updated: Five tonnes of straw damaged in fire caused by angle grinder
- Credit: Archant
Fire fighters issue another warning over using angle grinders near combustible material after second similar fire in a week.
THE fire service is warning people to take care using angle grinders around combustible material after the second barn fire in a week.
On Thursday afternoon, five-to-six tonnes of straw were severely damaged after a spark from an angle grinder caused them to catch on fire.
Fire fighters from Holsworthy, Hartland and Bideford along with a water foam carrier from Barnstaple were scrambled to the scene at Billhole, Sutcombe at around 2.45pm.
Neil Hole, Bideford station manager, said this was the fourth of fifth barn fire in recent weeks caused by using similar equipment.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a couple in Holsworthy and then one near Instow last week all caused by sparks from angle grinders,” he said.
“We want to make people aware of the danger of using angle grinders near combustible materials.”
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 3 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
- 10 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
Fire crews donned breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to combat the fire in the barn on Thursday.
Once the fire had been contained they used the farmer’s machinery to drag the straw from the barn and continue to dampen it down.
“The crews worked very hard in hot conditions,” added Neil.
“It was very lucky that only the straw was involved in this fire.”