Updated: Fire fighters battle barn blaze
- Credit: Archant
A hay barn, workshop, tractor and diesel tank were involved in the fire this afternoon (Friday).
FIRE crews are currently battling a large fire in Chulmleigh which has caused 300 litres of diesel to leak into a watercourse.
Fire crews from Chulmleigh,Witheridge and South Molton were scrambled to the scene at around 1.50pm.
On arrival they found a series of buildings well alight, with the blaze spreading to a fire and diesel tank.
Crews set to work battling the blaze involving the 14 metre by five metre workshop and fourteen by five metre hay barn.
You may also want to watch:
At 2.35pm the fire service reported four breathing apparatus wearers, a light portable pump and one thermal imaging camera were being used.
Just after 3pm, the Environment Agency was called to the scene as fire crews believed approximately 300 litres of diesel had entered the watercourse.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 6 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 7 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
Fire crews placed booms upstream from the site of the fire to prevent further pollution of the watercourse and by 4.20pm were making steady progress dampening down the fire.
The workshop was completely destroyed in the fire with 20 per cent damage to the hay barn. The tractor and diesel tank were also completely destroyed.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental and the Environment Agency is still investigating the extent of the diesel spillage.