Updated: Fire at derelict boarding house treated as suspicious
- Credit: Archant
Investigation under way after large fire at former Kingsley School boarding house in Bideford.
A FIRE at a derelict school building on Saturday night which nine fire crews battled for hours is being treated as suspicious.
Kiltrasna House, one of the former boarding houses of Kingsley School, was engulfed in flames when crews arrived at around 8.40pm.
Pumps from Bideford, Braunton, Barnstaple, Appledore, Hartland, Ilfracombe and Torrington were initially scrambled to the scene.
Further crews from Combe Martin, Hatherleigh, South Molton and Woolacombe also attended during the night.
You may also want to watch:
No one was injured in the fire but crews battled the blaze for more than eight hours using two hose reel jets and a hydraulic platform.
Lucy Goaman, of Kinglsey School, was at the scene and said she had been alerted to the fire at around 9pm.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 7 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
“Around 70 per cent of the building has been damaged; it appears to have affected one side of the building,” she said.
“It was very lucky the building is derelict and it’s not term time, so no one was around.
“The fire service has done an excellent job in bringing it under control very quickly.”
Police, fire and ambulance services were all at the scene.
By 2.30am, fire fighting was discontinued and at 5.13am, all fire engines had left the site.
Just before 9am a small fire broke out in the remains of the building which a crew extinguished using a hose reel jet.
A fire investigation to establish the cause of the blaze is ongoing but police confirmed officers are treating the fire as suspicious.