Updated: Atlantic Way in Westward Ho! closed due to landslide fears
- Credit: Archant
Main road was cordoned off yesterday (Tues) evening and could be closed for eight weeks, say county council.
THE main road into Westward Ho! has been closed amid fears a wall could collapse - and could be off limits for a further eight weeks.
Atlantic Way was closed yesterday (Tues) evening due to the risk that a gabion wall was beginning to spill onto the highway.
A Devon County Council spokesman said: “In the interest of public safety, Devon County Council has had to undertake an emergency closure on the B3236, Atlantic Way, adjacent to the Linden Homes site.
“The gabion wall retaining the bank is starting to bulge and there is a possibility that the bank could slip further.
You may also want to watch:
“Devon County council is awaiting proposals from the developers on how it is going to rectify the problem and our structures team will ensure any work isappropriate for the site and fit for purpose. “This section of the road could be closed for around eight weeks and a diversion is currently in place.”
The road is currently closed between Kingsley Road and Fosketh Hill and a diversion is in place through Northam.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
@Delicadevon said on Twitter: “Landslide Atlantic Way where new houses being built - road closed so chaos trying to get in or out of Westward Ho!”
Last year there was a similar landslide on Atlantic Way following weeks of heavy rainfall.