Update: Woman dies after collision on A39 near Kilkhampton
- Credit: Archant
The A39 is currently closed while emergency services investigate the two vehicle crash.
A WOMAN from the Bude area has died following a serious two-vehicle smash on the A39 near Kilkhampton this morning (Friday).
Police have confirmed that the driver of the silver VW Polo, who was in her 40s, has been declared deceased at the scene by paramedics.
Her next of kin have been informed but other family members are yet to be told.
A man who was driving a Ford Maverick was air-lifted to Derriford hospital in Plymouth where he is said to be stable and not thought to have life-threatening injuries.
You may also want to watch:
He is understood to be in his early forties and is from the Bideford area.
The collision occurred two miles from Kilkhampton in the Bideford direction at around 7.15am, with reports both vehicles ended up in a ditch, the van almost turning over.
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
Police said it is thought the man was initially trapped and had to be freed by fire crews.
Officers from the serious collisions investigation team have begun a detailed investigation and are carrying out work at the scene.
A police spokesman said they will do this as quickly as possible and the road is anticipated to remain closed for a further three to four hours – reopening around 5pm.
Police are keen to hear from anyone that recalls seeing a silver VW Polo, shortly before the incident – between around 7am and 7.15am that would have been travelling on the A39 heading north towards Bideford.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101 and quote log 130 of 22 March 2013.