Update: Woman dies after collision on A39 near Kilkhampton
- Credit: Archant
The A39 is currently closed while emergency services investigate the two vehicle crash.
A WOMAN from the Bude area has died following a serious two-vehicle smash on the A39 near Kilkhampton this morning (Friday).
Police have confirmed that the driver of the silver VW Polo, who was in her 40s, has been declared deceased at the scene by paramedics.
Her next of kin have been informed but other family members are yet to be told.
A man who was driving a Ford Maverick was air-lifted to Derriford hospital in Plymouth where he is said to be stable and not thought to have life-threatening injuries.
You may also want to watch:
He is understood to be in his early forties and is from the Bideford area.
The collision occurred two miles from Kilkhampton in the Bideford direction at around 7.15am, with reports both vehicles ended up in a ditch, the van almost turning over.
- 1 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 2 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 3 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 4 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 5 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 6 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 7 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 8 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
Police said it is thought the man was initially trapped and had to be freed by fire crews.
Officers from the serious collisions investigation team have begun a detailed investigation and are carrying out work at the scene.
A police spokesman said they will do this as quickly as possible and the road is anticipated to remain closed for a further three to four hours – reopening around 5pm.
Police are keen to hear from anyone that recalls seeing a silver VW Polo, shortly before the incident – between around 7am and 7.15am that would have been travelling on the A39 heading north towards Bideford.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101 and quote log 130 of 22 March 2013.