Update: Two women bailed as alleged attempted abduction investigations continue
Two women arrested yesterday on suspicion of attempted child abduction have been bailed.
TWO women arrested in Barnstaple yesterday (Monday) on suspicion of attempted abduction have been bailed pending further investigations by police.
The women will return to Barnstaple police station at a later date and bail conditions prevent them from returning to the Barnstaple area
Police in Barnstaple have arrested the women yesterday afternoon following an incident in Barnstaple over the weekend.
Despite dismissing the allegations as ‘unfounded rumours’, follow up enquiries led to the arrest of the women of no fixed abode in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Officers received a report of suspicious activity on the Forches Estate on 17 August following a complaint from a child’s parents.
“On arrival, police spoke to two women who were under the influence of alcohol and are thought to have asked a young child what street they were in and offered the child 50p.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 10 Man dies in crash involving bicycle and car in Bideford
“To avoid any further problems the two women were then moved on from the area using a Section 27 Dispersal order which gives police power to disperse people from an area if there is a likelihood of alcohol-fuelled disorder.
“But follow-up enquiries this morning led to a further allegation and officers have since returned to the estate and arrested the two women on suspicion of attempted abduction.”
The incidents are alleged to have taken place around August 17 and 18 in the Forches area.
The two women aged 26 and 27 have spent the night in custody while police continue their investigations.
The spokesman said: “Police have said that this is a very early stage in their enquiries and that investigations continue.
“We understand there has been community tension in the area since the allegations and are reminding members of the public – in particular parents – that police are dealing with the incident.
“Local officers have been carrying out high-visibility patrols in the area to reassure the community.”
Anyone with any information is asked to please call police on 101 and quote log 695 of August 17.