UPDATE: Two die as car plunges into swollen river
Police issue appeal for witnesses after double fatality near North Molton.
TWO young men have died after their car plunged into a flooded river near North Molton.
The blue Peugeot 306 convertible left the road and dropped 15ft into the fast-flowing River Mole.
Police were alerted at 8am today (Friday) but it is thought that the car may have crashed some time before then, possibly as late as the previous evening.
The driver, a 25-year-old man from Brixham, sustained serious injuries and was taken to North Devon District Hospital by ambulance. He died a short time later.
You may also want to watch:
The passenger, a 24-year-old man from South Molton, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Formal identification has not yet taken place although next of kin have been informed.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
Officers from the Force Serious Collisions Investigation Unit have launched an investigation into the incident.
The unclassified road was closed from the junction at the A361 North Devon Link Road for much of the day. It re-opened at 4.55pm.
Police are appealing for witnesses who may have seen the Peugeot travelling from the Exmoor direction toward North Molton or South Molton some time during the late evening of Thursday or early hours of Friday morning.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101, quoting log number 148 of 12/10/12.