UPDATE: Two die and two arrested in Bratton Fleming crash
Village community devastated by death of youngsters.
POLICE have confirmed that two people have died in a car crash near Bratton Fleming in the early hours of this morning (Friday).
A 21-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man, both from the village, were killed when a car left the road near Loxhore Cross.
The victims have been named locally as former Pilton Community College students Emma Kift and Jonny Popple, although formal identification has not yet been carried out by police.
Emergency services were called to the scene at 3.50am. It is understood that the burnt-out car had rolled 25ft down a steep bank and come to rest on its roof in a field.
You may also want to watch:
Polce said two men, aged in their 20s, had been arrested in connection with the collision. They are being investigated for causing death by dangerous driving.
A spokesman said: “A small community has lost two young people and our thoughts are with their families and friends at this tragic time.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 9 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 10 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
“Collision investigations are taking place at the scene and we anticipate the road will remain closed for some hours.
“This is the early stages of an investigation and no conclusions should be drawn about the incident at this time.”
The road is currently closed between Bratton Cross and Snapper with local diversions in place.
Check back for more details as we have them.