UPDATE: Two die and two arrested in Bratton Fleming crash
Village community devastated by death of youngsters.
POLICE have confirmed that two people have died in a car crash near Bratton Fleming in the early hours of this morning (Friday).
A 21-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man, both from the village, were killed when a car left the road near Loxhore Cross.
The victims have been named locally as former Pilton Community College students Emma Kift and Jonny Popple, although formal identification has not yet been carried out by police.
Emergency services were called to the scene at 3.50am. It is understood that the burnt-out car had rolled 25ft down a steep bank and come to rest on its roof in a field.
You may also want to watch:
Polce said two men, aged in their 20s, had been arrested in connection with the collision. They are being investigated for causing death by dangerous driving.
A spokesman said: “A small community has lost two young people and our thoughts are with their families and friends at this tragic time.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
“Collision investigations are taking place at the scene and we anticipate the road will remain closed for some hours.
“This is the early stages of an investigation and no conclusions should be drawn about the incident at this time.”
The road is currently closed between Bratton Cross and Snapper with local diversions in place.
Check back for more details as we have them.