UPDATE....Sticklepath incident - man aged 27 arrested
POLICE have arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of false imprisonment after an armed response team was called to a property in Bickington Road, Sticklepath, today (Tuesday). The man is understood to have given himself up after police sent in negotiat
POLICE have arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of false imprisonment after an armed response team was called to a property in the Sticklepath area of Barnstaple today (Tuesday).
The man is understood to have given himself up after police sent in negotiators.
A police spokesman said the incident began in Pilton Street when a 25-year-old woman called the police to report a domestic incident at around 7.30am. The woman alleged that she had been assaulted and locked in a cupboard by her partner, who had left the house and taken their three young children.
Police conducted a search of the area and the man was eventually found to be inside a property in Bickington Road, Sticklepath. At 9.15 am, a large contingent of police assembled outside the house, the home of another family member.
You may also want to watch:
The use of Tasers was authorised, but the man came out peacefully, the police spokesman said.
He said: "After several hours, the man gave himself up and he was arrested with no harm to him or his family.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
"He has been arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment and common assault and is in custody in Barnstaple police station."