UPDATE....Sticklepath incident - man aged 27 arrested
POLICE have arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of false imprisonment after an armed response team was called to a property in Bickington Road, Sticklepath, today (Tuesday). The man is understood to have given himself up after police sent in negotiat
POLICE have arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of false imprisonment after an armed response team was called to a property in the Sticklepath area of Barnstaple today (Tuesday).
The man is understood to have given himself up after police sent in negotiators.
A police spokesman said the incident began in Pilton Street when a 25-year-old woman called the police to report a domestic incident at around 7.30am. The woman alleged that she had been assaulted and locked in a cupboard by her partner, who had left the house and taken their three young children.
Police conducted a search of the area and the man was eventually found to be inside a property in Bickington Road, Sticklepath. At 9.15 am, a large contingent of police assembled outside the house, the home of another family member.
You may also want to watch:
The use of Tasers was authorised, but the man came out peacefully, the police spokesman said.
He said: "After several hours, the man gave himself up and he was arrested with no harm to him or his family.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
"He has been arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment and common assault and is in custody in Barnstaple police station."