Update: Second body found after property fire
Crews have located a second body after the night-time tragedy in Filleigh.
A SECOND body has been found at the site of a house fire in Filleigh this afternoon (Monday).
The first body discovered at The Toll House on Castle Hill Estate was removed from the scene at 3pm.
A police spokesman said: “One body was found and recovered after a very careful search this morning.
“A second body has just been located in the property in the last five minutes.
You may also want to watch:
“Police priorities now lie in identifying the deceased and officers have spoken to the next of kin in person.”
Both bodies will be taken to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where post mortems will be carried out tomorrow (Tuesday).
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
A joint police and fire investigation is being carried out to determine the cause of the fire, which is not believed to be suspicious at this stage.
The investigations are thought to conclude tomorrow.
The Grade II listed building was severely damaged by the blaze which occurred around 2.30am today.
A fire engine from South Molton were joined by two from Barnstaple and a water carrier as they fought the fire.
Neither of the deceased have yet been formally identified by police.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting reference 43 of 18/06/12.
Check back for more as we have it.