Update: Second body found after property fire
Crews have located a second body after the night-time tragedy in Filleigh.
A SECOND body has been found at the site of a house fire in Filleigh this afternoon (Monday).
The first body discovered at The Toll House on Castle Hill Estate was removed from the scene at 3pm.
A police spokesman said: “One body was found and recovered after a very careful search this morning.
“A second body has just been located in the property in the last five minutes.
You may also want to watch:
“Police priorities now lie in identifying the deceased and officers have spoken to the next of kin in person.”
Both bodies will be taken to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where post mortems will be carried out tomorrow (Tuesday).
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
A joint police and fire investigation is being carried out to determine the cause of the fire, which is not believed to be suspicious at this stage.
The investigations are thought to conclude tomorrow.
The Grade II listed building was severely damaged by the blaze which occurred around 2.30am today.
A fire engine from South Molton were joined by two from Barnstaple and a water carrier as they fought the fire.
Neither of the deceased have yet been formally identified by police.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting reference 43 of 18/06/12.
Check back for more as we have it.