UPDATE: Riddle of river body
Investigations continue as police try to identify corpse found floating in Torridge
POLICE are still trying to identify a body recovered from the River Torridge yesterday morning (Tuesday).
The body was spotted drifting near the Swan Inn by the East-the-Water side of Bideford Long Bridge by a member of the public at 8.30am.
Police, ambulance, coastguard and lifeboat crews were all alerted and the body was recovered via the slipway on Torrington Street an hour later.
It is understood to have been taken to the mortuary at North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesperson said today: “No identification has taken place and officers are carrying out a number of enquires to establish its identity.”
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened