UPDATE: Riddle of river body
Investigations continue as police try to identify corpse found floating in Torridge
POLICE are still trying to identify a body recovered from the River Torridge yesterday morning (Tuesday).
The body was spotted drifting near the Swan Inn by the East-the-Water side of Bideford Long Bridge by a member of the public at 8.30am.
Police, ambulance, coastguard and lifeboat crews were all alerted and the body was recovered via the slipway on Torrington Street an hour later.
It is understood to have been taken to the mortuary at North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesperson said today: “No identification has taken place and officers are carrying out a number of enquires to establish its identity.”
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 3 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 4 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 7 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge