Update: Man found dead on Ilfracombe beach believed to be local
Police believe the man was from the Ilfracombe area but formal identification is yet to take place.
A MAN whose body was discovered on an Ilfracombe beach on Monday afternoon is believed to be that of a local man, say police.
A police spokesman said formal identification was yet to take place but the man was believed to be in his early 50s and from the Ilfracombe area.
The body was found around 2.45pm at the bottom of Beacon Point in the Hillsborough area of the town.
A woman called the police after discovering some personal items on a footpath on the cliff.
You may also want to watch:
Police requested the help of the RNLI as the position of the body on the beach meant it could only be accessed from the water.
The police helicopter was also in attendance.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 7 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 8 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the man’s death.