Update: Lay-by body is removed by police
Police re-open A39 toilets and picnic area following day-long investigation.
THE BODY of a man found in woodland near a lay-by in Barnstaple has been removed and taken to Exeter for a post-mortem examination.
The deceased was discovered in woodland by the Rooks Bridge picnic area at around 6.20am today (Thursday).
The man was pronounced dead by paramedics at 6.45am.
The toilet area on the Barnstaple to Bideford side of the road has just been reopened after police spent hours investigating the cordoned-off area.
You may also want to watch:
A Home Office forensic pathologist will be carrying out a post-mortem on the body at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital later today.
Earlier today a police spokesperson said: “This is still the very early stages of an investigation.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
“We are now busy trying to establish what’s happened here and we are keeping an open mind at this time as to the cause of this death.”
Check back here for more information as we have it.