Update: Lay-by body is removed by police
Police re-open A39 toilets and picnic area following day-long investigation.
THE BODY of a man found in woodland near a lay-by in Barnstaple has been removed and taken to Exeter for a post-mortem examination.
The deceased was discovered in woodland by the Rooks Bridge picnic area at around 6.20am today (Thursday).
The man was pronounced dead by paramedics at 6.45am.
The toilet area on the Barnstaple to Bideford side of the road has just been reopened after police spent hours investigating the cordoned-off area.
You may also want to watch:
A Home Office forensic pathologist will be carrying out a post-mortem on the body at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital later today.
Earlier today a police spokesperson said: “This is still the very early stages of an investigation.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 3 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 8 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 9 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 10 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
“We are now busy trying to establish what’s happened here and we are keeping an open mind at this time as to the cause of this death.”
Check back here for more information as we have it.