UPDATE: Fertiliser and twenty tonnes of hay lost in barn fire
The contents of a large barn were severely damaged by fire yesterday, with a second barn making a narrow escape from the blaze.
TWENTY tonnes of hay, six tonnes of fertiliser and a combine harvester were all severely damaged in a barn fire yesterday (Mon).
Fire crews were called to a 20m x 12m barn which was well alight at a farm near Rapscott around 12.45pm.
One pump from South Molton, two pumps from Barnstaple and the water bowser from Barnstaple attended the scene.
The barn was allowed to burn out whilst fire fighters battled the blaze with a hose reel jet.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews also used compressed foam to protect an adjoining barn, but five per cent of the second building was damaged.
A tractor was used to remove various machinery from the second barn, and around 4.20pm yesterday it was reported that the fire was out.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
Crews remained at the scene to dampen down and turn over the smoldering remnants.