UPDATE: Driver dies in A386 crash
Man pronounced dead at the scene following head-on crash between Bideford and Torrington
A MAN has died and four people have been injured in a head-on crash on the A386 between Bideford and Torrington this morning (Monday).
The deceased, in his 40s and from the local area, was pronounced dead at the scene. His next-of-kin have been informed.
Contrary to earlier reports, he was the sole occupant of a green Citroen Saxo that collided with a black Ford people carrier, near the quarry at Weare Giffard at around 11.15am.
The four occupants of the Ford, registered to a Kent address, all suffered injuries of varying severity and have been taken to hospital for treatment. The rear seat passengers – a man and a woman – were flown by air ambulance to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth. There is no further update on their condition at this time.
You may also want to watch:
The Ford had been travelling in the direction of Bideford from Torrington and the Saxo was travelling in the other direction.
Police are appealing for any witnesses who may have seen either car prior to the collision or the collision itself. In particular officers would like to speak to any drivers of HGV vehicles in the area at the time of the incident.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 08452 777444 quoting log 215 040711.
The road remains closed in both directions.