UPDATE: Council leader 'devastated' by college funding loss
NORTH Devon Council Leader Councillor Des Brailey has mourned the massive blow to the area in the wake of news North Devon College will not receive funding for a move to a new campus at Seven Brethren. And it is not yet clear how the news today will af
NORTH Devon Council Leader Councillor Des Brailey has mourned the "massive blow" to the area in the wake of news North Devon College will not receive funding for a move to a new campus at Seven Brethren.
And it is not yet clear how the news today will affect the council-backed master plan for much needed regeneration of the Seven Brethren area.
"We are devastated to hear that the LSC will not be awarding the college with this funding," said Mr Brailey.
"The money would have secured North Devon with a new state-of-the-art college, bringing with it prosperity to the area.
You may also want to watch:
"Therefore, this news is a massive blow - not only to the college who've already spent the last four years working on the plans, but also to the wider community and the local economy."
He added: "Nevertheless, I want to offer reassurances the college's planning application for a new site at Seven Brethren remains, as this decision has no bearing on the outcome of the process. I just hope that something can be done to secure the future of the new college, which will help regenerate the area, offering first class further education for many generations to come.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 8 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'