UPDATE: Council leader 'devastated' by college funding loss
NORTH Devon Council Leader Councillor Des Brailey has mourned the massive blow to the area in the wake of news North Devon College will not receive funding for a move to a new campus at Seven Brethren. And it is not yet clear how the news today will af
NORTH Devon Council Leader Councillor Des Brailey has mourned the "massive blow" to the area in the wake of news North Devon College will not receive funding for a move to a new campus at Seven Brethren.
And it is not yet clear how the news today will affect the council-backed master plan for much needed regeneration of the Seven Brethren area.
"We are devastated to hear that the LSC will not be awarding the college with this funding," said Mr Brailey.
"The money would have secured North Devon with a new state-of-the-art college, bringing with it prosperity to the area.
You may also want to watch:
"Therefore, this news is a massive blow - not only to the college who've already spent the last four years working on the plans, but also to the wider community and the local economy."
He added: "Nevertheless, I want to offer reassurances the college's planning application for a new site at Seven Brethren remains, as this decision has no bearing on the outcome of the process. I just hope that something can be done to secure the future of the new college, which will help regenerate the area, offering first class further education for many generations to come.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 4 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: How South Molton centrepiece came to be
- 7 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 10 Calls to reject latest bid for new homes at Chivenor Cross