UPDATE: Council leader 'devastated' by college funding loss
NORTH Devon Council Leader Councillor Des Brailey has mourned the massive blow to the area in the wake of news North Devon College will not receive funding for a move to a new campus at Seven Brethren. And it is not yet clear how the news today will af
NORTH Devon Council Leader Councillor Des Brailey has mourned the "massive blow" to the area in the wake of news North Devon College will not receive funding for a move to a new campus at Seven Brethren.
And it is not yet clear how the news today will affect the council-backed master plan for much needed regeneration of the Seven Brethren area.
"We are devastated to hear that the LSC will not be awarding the college with this funding," said Mr Brailey.
"The money would have secured North Devon with a new state-of-the-art college, bringing with it prosperity to the area.
You may also want to watch:
"Therefore, this news is a massive blow - not only to the college who've already spent the last four years working on the plans, but also to the wider community and the local economy."
He added: "Nevertheless, I want to offer reassurances the college's planning application for a new site at Seven Brethren remains, as this decision has no bearing on the outcome of the process. I just hope that something can be done to secure the future of the new college, which will help regenerate the area, offering first class further education for many generations to come.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 8 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 9 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes