Update: Corroded pipe drains Ilfracombe pool
- Credit: Archant
Swimming pool remains closed until further notice, after major hole found in outlet pipe.
THE sudden draining of Ilfracombe Swimming Pool has been traced to a large hole in the main outlet pipe.
The pool closed last Wednesday after all the water disappeared, while Parkwood Leisure and North Devon Council investigated the problem.
Mark Kentell, the council’s contracts delivery manager, confirmed the identity of the culprit: “The corroded pipe has been in place since the facility was first built and is buried beneath the pool and a supporting concrete slab.
“There are various methods that can be used to fix or replace this pipework, but the location of the pipe is obviously very difficult. We also need to establish if the pressure of the water leaving the pool so quickly has damaged the area beneath the swimming pool.
You may also want to watch:
“This again requires more investigation, which needs to be carried out very carefully so as not to cause further damage.”
He said the pool would remain closed until further notice and the council would issue more information when it could
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100