UPDATE: Combe Martin chip shop fire winds down
The main road through Combe Martin remains closed as fire crews complete operations after a blaze at the Black & White Chip Shop on the seafront.
THE road is closed at Combe Martin seafront as fire fighters finish dealing with a blaze at the Black and White Chip Shop.
Crews from Combe Martin and Ilfracombe were called to the scene at Borough Road just after 11am and quickly asked for a further three appliances from Ilfracombe, Woolacombe and Barnstaple to attend.
The fire was on the first and second floor of the three storey building, and six fire fighters donned breathing apparatus as crews used three hose reel jets and two main jets to fight the fire.
The third storey is living accommodation but the fire service said everybody had been accounted for. The police and ambulance services were in attendance but no one is thought to have been injured.
You may also want to watch:
By 12.30pm the fire appeared to be out as crews continued to deal with the aftermath. At 1.40 the fire service reported “steady progress,” with the use of breathing apparatus discontinued and positive pressure ventilation fans used to clear smoke from the building.
Two appliances and the incident support unit were still on the scene.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple