UPDATE: Body found on Westward Ho! beach
- Credit: Archant
Police still to identify young female, who is believed to have been living in the local area.
POLICE say they are working to establish the identity of a body found on the beach at Westward Ho! on Saturday morning.
The 31-year-old female, who police confirmed had been living in the local area but was not local to North Devon, was discovered by a member of the public walking their dog, who alerted emergency services at around 9.25am.
Local Coastguard teams were called to assist police and the body was initially taken to the lifeboat station.
A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said the body was discovered near to Golf Links Road.
You may also want to watch:
The death is not currently being treated as suspicious and formal identification is set to take place within the next couple of days.
A post mortem to establish the cause of death has not yet been carried out.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 4 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 7 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
Police are continuing to make enquiries on behalf of the coroner and anyone with any information that can assist are asked to call non-emergency number 101, quoting CD/13/69.