UPDATE: Body found on Westward Ho! beach
- Credit: Archant
Police still to identify young female, who is believed to have been living in the local area.
POLICE say they are working to establish the identity of a body found on the beach at Westward Ho! on Saturday morning.
The 31-year-old female, who police confirmed had been living in the local area but was not local to North Devon, was discovered by a member of the public walking their dog, who alerted emergency services at around 9.25am.
Local Coastguard teams were called to assist police and the body was initially taken to the lifeboat station.
A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said the body was discovered near to Golf Links Road.
You may also want to watch:
The death is not currently being treated as suspicious and formal identification is set to take place within the next couple of days.
A post mortem to establish the cause of death has not yet been carried out.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 6 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 7 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 8 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 9 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 10 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
Police are continuing to make enquiries on behalf of the coroner and anyone with any information that can assist are asked to call non-emergency number 101, quoting CD/13/69.