UPDATE: Body found in sea off Ilfracombe
Update: Fishing boat finds body of a man in his 30s or 40s this morning (Thursday).
THE body of a man was discovered in the sea just off Cheyne Beach at Ilfracombe this morning (Thursday).
Police said the deceased, thought to be in his 30s or 40s, was found floating in the water by a fishing vessel, which alerted Swansea Coastguard.
The Ilfracombe RNLI inshore lifeboat launched at 9.26am to retrieve the body, which was about 200 yards off Cheyne, between Capstone and Lantern Hill.
The body has now been taken to North Devon District Hospital and police are now trying to establish the identity of the man.
You may also want to watch:
They said there were not thought to be any suspicious circumstances.
It is the second body found off the same stretch of coastline this week. On Monday, a man’s body was discovered on a beach at the bottom of Beacon Point in the Hillsborough area of Ilfracombe.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 6 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 7 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 8 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
Personal items were found by a passerby on a footpath on the cliff although police have yet to release a formal identification.