UPDATE: Bideford furniture factory fire
Firefighters from across the region work into the night to tackle silo blaze
FIREFIGHTERS from across the region were still at the Devonshire Pine factory on the Caddsdown Industrial Estate in Bideford into the evening yesterday (Thursday), having been there all day, dealing with a fire in a silo of wood shavings.
Initially called out at 10 am, they were there for the next 10 hours, removing and extinguishing smouldering shavings from the silo and ensuring that fire did not spread through pipework to the main factory building.
Four appliances from Bideford, Appledore and Torrington and an aerial platform from Barnstaple were initially involved and late in the afternoon these were replaced by relief crews from Hartland, Witheridge, South Molton and North Tawton.
Jeff Harding, Station Manager of the Barnstaple Group, said crews wearing breathing apparatus had worked very hard to remove the shavings from the half-full silo after having had to use an angle grinder to cut an access hatch. A compressed air foam system was also used to suppress the fire.
You may also want to watch:
The main concern was that the fire might spread through pipework to the main building and this all had to be checked out. They had been helped greatly in their work by the factory’s maintenance team.
Although fire investigations had not been completed, it was possible that the outbreak had been caused by spontaneous combustion, he said.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
The factory was on holiday close down at the time of the incident.