Update: Barnstaple bridge fall was accidental
- Credit: Archant
Torrington man injures ankle after early morning fall from the town’s Longbridge.
A fall from Barnstaple Longbridge in the early hours of Saturday was an accident, police have said.
Emergency services rushed to the River Taw just before 4am after a man fell from the bridge and injured his ankle.
The fire service said two crews from Barnstaple plus its specialist rescue team discovered the casualty on the stanchion of the bridge, where it appeared he had broken his ankle and was unable to climb up the embankment and save himself.
Fire fighters donned dry suits and used an inflatable walkway plus a buoyancy aid and a battery operated saw in order to rescue the man and leave him in the care of paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
Police said there was nothing suspicious about the incident – the 26-year-old from Torrington had been out with friends when the accident occurred.
The man was taken to Accident and Emergency at North Devon District Hospital by South Western Ambulance Service.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed