Update: A39 re-opened
The North Devon Link Road was re-opened to traffic at 2.30pm today after having been closed for six hours due to an accident
THE North Devon Link Road between Bideford and Barnstaple has been re-opened after being closed to traffic for six hours today (Wednesday) following a road traffic accident.
Emergency services had been at the scene since 8.25 am, when the accident occurred some three-and-a-half miles from Bideford, involving a Ford Fiesta car and a Ford Transit van, which was carrying oxyacetylene cylinders.
Concern about potential damage to the cylinders led police to set up a 200 metre safety cordon around the scene and the road was closed from the Torridge Bridge to the Roundswell roundabout. Diversions were put in place.
Firefighters were called to assess the situation and used thermal imaging equipment to monitor the stability of the cylinders every 15 minutes for one-and-a-half hours.
You may also want to watch:
When the all clear was given, a call was made to a licensed collector to pick the cylinders up, allowing the road to be re-opened to traffic at 2.30pm.
No one is believed to have been injured in the incident.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience