Update: A39 re-opened
The North Devon Link Road was re-opened to traffic at 2.30pm today after having been closed for six hours due to an accident
THE North Devon Link Road between Bideford and Barnstaple has been re-opened after being closed to traffic for six hours today (Wednesday) following a road traffic accident.
Emergency services had been at the scene since 8.25 am, when the accident occurred some three-and-a-half miles from Bideford, involving a Ford Fiesta car and a Ford Transit van, which was carrying oxyacetylene cylinders.
Concern about potential damage to the cylinders led police to set up a 200 metre safety cordon around the scene and the road was closed from the Torridge Bridge to the Roundswell roundabout. Diversions were put in place.
Firefighters were called to assess the situation and used thermal imaging equipment to monitor the stability of the cylinders every 15 minutes for one-and-a-half hours.
You may also want to watch:
When the all clear was given, a call was made to a licensed collector to pick the cylinders up, allowing the road to be re-opened to traffic at 2.30pm.
No one is believed to have been injured in the incident.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new