'Ugly duckling' causes a stir at Rosemoor
AN unexpected early Easter surprise has arrived at RHS Garden Rosemoor in Torrington – after a chick hatched from a collection of supposed duck eggs. Staff at Rosemoor had expected the 18 incubated duck eggs in the attraction foyer to hatch out tomorrow (
AN unexpected early Easter surprise has arrived at RHS Garden Rosemoor in Torrington - after a chick hatched from a collection of supposed duck eggs.
Staff at Rosemoor had expected the 18 incubated duck eggs in the attraction foyer to hatch out tomorrow (Thursday) in time for Easter, so were astonished to hear cheeping emerging form the incubator a week early!
The "ugly duckling" is perfectly healthy and happy in its new home and is awaiting the arrival of its "brothers and sisters" this week.
It appears a chicken egg somehow made its way into the duck collection, which explains the early arrival as chickens incubate at 21 days and ducks 28.
You may also want to watch:
The other eggs should belong to Silver Appleyard, Aylesbury and Call ducks - but everyone at Rosemoor is now wondering what else may emerge in the next few days!
The garden is holding an Easter Trail this week from Good Friday until Easter Monday from 10am-4pm - follow the clues around the garden, now springing into bloom, and win some chocolate treasure.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
- 10 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
The chicks hatched last Easter at Rosemoor have become beautiful fully plumed chickens and will also be making a guest appearance down in the orchard.
Find out more about Easter at Rosemoor via www.rhs.org.uk or call (01805) 624067.