'Ugly duckling' causes a stir at Rosemoor
AN unexpected early Easter surprise has arrived at RHS Garden Rosemoor in Torrington – after a chick hatched from a collection of supposed duck eggs. Staff at Rosemoor had expected the 18 incubated duck eggs in the attraction foyer to hatch out tomorrow (
AN unexpected early Easter surprise has arrived at RHS Garden Rosemoor in Torrington - after a chick hatched from a collection of supposed duck eggs.
Staff at Rosemoor had expected the 18 incubated duck eggs in the attraction foyer to hatch out tomorrow (Thursday) in time for Easter, so were astonished to hear cheeping emerging form the incubator a week early!
The "ugly duckling" is perfectly healthy and happy in its new home and is awaiting the arrival of its "brothers and sisters" this week.
It appears a chicken egg somehow made its way into the duck collection, which explains the early arrival as chickens incubate at 21 days and ducks 28.
You may also want to watch:
The other eggs should belong to Silver Appleyard, Aylesbury and Call ducks - but everyone at Rosemoor is now wondering what else may emerge in the next few days!
The garden is holding an Easter Trail this week from Good Friday until Easter Monday from 10am-4pm - follow the clues around the garden, now springing into bloom, and win some chocolate treasure.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 4 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 10 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
The chicks hatched last Easter at Rosemoor have become beautiful fully plumed chickens and will also be making a guest appearance down in the orchard.
Find out more about Easter at Rosemoor via www.rhs.org.uk or call (01805) 624067.