'Ugly duckling' causes a stir at Rosemoor
AN unexpected early Easter surprise has arrived at RHS Garden Rosemoor in Torrington – after a chick hatched from a collection of supposed duck eggs. Staff at Rosemoor had expected the 18 incubated duck eggs in the attraction foyer to hatch out tomorrow (
AN unexpected early Easter surprise has arrived at RHS Garden Rosemoor in Torrington - after a chick hatched from a collection of supposed duck eggs.
Staff at Rosemoor had expected the 18 incubated duck eggs in the attraction foyer to hatch out tomorrow (Thursday) in time for Easter, so were astonished to hear cheeping emerging form the incubator a week early!
The "ugly duckling" is perfectly healthy and happy in its new home and is awaiting the arrival of its "brothers and sisters" this week.
It appears a chicken egg somehow made its way into the duck collection, which explains the early arrival as chickens incubate at 21 days and ducks 28.
You may also want to watch:
The other eggs should belong to Silver Appleyard, Aylesbury and Call ducks - but everyone at Rosemoor is now wondering what else may emerge in the next few days!
The garden is holding an Easter Trail this week from Good Friday until Easter Monday from 10am-4pm - follow the clues around the garden, now springing into bloom, and win some chocolate treasure.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 8 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 9 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
The chicks hatched last Easter at Rosemoor have become beautiful fully plumed chickens and will also be making a guest appearance down in the orchard.
Find out more about Easter at Rosemoor via www.rhs.org.uk or call (01805) 624067.