Three fire crews called out to ‘heavily smoking’ tumble dryer in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after a tumble dryer in Black Torrington began smoking heavily.

Fire crews from Hatherleigh, Holsworthy and Okehampton arrived in Broad Street at 3.49am today (Tuesday).

Upon arrival, crews located a fire in the first floor kitchen involving the tumble dryer.

They used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, a covering jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire and clear the property of smoke.

Two adults - one man and one woman - were treated at the scene, firstly by fire fighters and then by ambulance personnel, for smoke inhalation.