Two tonnes of metal spikes removed from Pebble Ridge
- Credit: Archant
The coiled metal spikes are thought to be anti-tank devices more than 60 years old.
TWO tonnes of coiled spikes, thought to be anti-tank devices, have been removed from a section of Northam Burrows’s Pebble Ridge.
The recent high tides had exposed the coils and were thought to be erected at that location more than 60 years ago because of the natural gap in the sand dunes.
Shawn Corin, senior ranger on the Burrows, said: “The spikes were first exposed back in 2007 but before we had a chance to remove any, the Pebble Ridge had swallowed them up again.
“This time we’ve managed to remove the majority of them – about two tonnes worth.
You may also want to watch:
“The coils would have ripped off the tracks from any tanks rendering them immobile, and the many vertical uncoiled spikes we found would have been connected together using barbed wire, presumably to deter any infantry.”
Some of the coiled spikes recovered will be given to the North Devon Museum and the rest will go for scrap.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
Torridge District Council’s lead member for the natural and built environment Councillor Gaye Tabor said: “It’s fascinating the secrets Northam Burrows is still withholding from us.
“It’s such a wonderful natural resource for Torridge, enjoyed by people of all ages, and never fails to amaze.”