Two Ilfracombe men arrested on suspicion of murder
- Credit: Archant
Man died in hospital after being found at bottom of steep slope.
TWO men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died following an incident in Ilfracombe last night (Sunday).
The deceased, thought to be aged in his 30s, was found at the bottom of a steep slope in the Two Potts area, on the outskirts of the town.
North Devon sector inspector Roger Bartlett said the man was found close to Francis Cottages, at a location between Two Pots and the Recycling Centre.
Police were alerted by an ambulance crew at the scene at around 11pm.
You may also want to watch:
The man was taken to North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple with head injuries, where he later died.
Inspector Bartlett said: “Officers are at the early stages of their investigation and at this time it is unclear how the victim sustained his injuries.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 8 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 9 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 10 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
“A taxi that was also present on the arrival of police and pictured in some press reports does form part of the investigation.
“The area around the scene is quite difficult to access and as such, will need to be protected until the results of the post mortem is known.
“As a result, officers will maintain a scene guard there and the road is likely to remain closed into tomorrow.
“Fortunately it is a relatively quiet route with the Old Barnstaple Road available as an alternative so the impact upon traffic movement should not be significant.
“The investigation will be run by the major crime investigation team supported by local officers who will be responsible, amongst other things, for monitoring and responding to any community tensions.
“The family of the male who lost his life have been informed and our thoughts and prayers go out to them and his friends at this difficult time.”
Officers investigating the incident said it was unclear how the victim sustained his injuries.
Two men, aged 47 and 38 and from Ilfracombe, were arrested at the scene and remain in police custody.
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 quoting reference 931 of June 8 2014.
The B3230 New Barnstaple Road is still closed in both directions between the Crofts Lea Park junction and Two Pots junction.
Check back for more information as we have it.