Twins celebrate 90th birthday
ONE of the region's most senior set of twins, Dick Scott and Joan Staddon of Bideford, will be celebrating their 90th birthday on Sunday. Born in Christow in Teignbridge, they came to North Devon as teenagers when their policeman father Arthur Scott, who
ONE of the region's most senior set of twins, Dick Scott and Joan Staddon of Bideford, will be celebrating their 90th birthday on Sunday.
Born in Christow in Teignbridge, they came to North Devon as teenagers when their policeman father Arthur Scott, who held the once famous number PC 49, was posted to the area.
During years in the Monkleigh area Joan met and married local farm worker Walter Staddon. She was widowed at an early age and devoted her life to bringing up their four children. She also worked in jobs that included for an outside caterer, visiting local shows and events, and at the Royal Hotel in Bideford for a number of years.
Joan has nine grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren
You may also want to watch:
Dick married Londoner Dorothy Bailey, who came to the area when her father was posted to Instow with the Services. A keen bicycle racer at the time, he would follow Dorothy when she was working as a 'clippie' on the local buses.
They have three children, seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 7 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
Dick served with the Devon Yeomanry during World War 11 attached to the 8th Army Royal Artillery. He fought in the Middle East, Pakistan, India, Burma and Egypt, including in the Battle of El Alamein, when he met 'Monty' - Field Marshal Montgomery
He spent most of his working life as a carpenter and joiner and was involved in many local building projects.