Twin town band to star in concerts
THE sounds of trumpets, trombones and euphoniums will be reverberating around various venues in North Devon when the region plays host to friends from Northern Germany next week. Forty-four musicians from the village of Altenmedingen, near Barnstaple s tw
THE sounds of trumpets, trombones and euphoniums will be reverberating around various venues in North Devon when the region plays host to friends from Northern Germany next week.
Forty-four musicians from the village of Altenmedingen, near Barnstaple's twin town of Stadt Uelzen are arriving on Sunday for a seven-day stay being hosted by the Albert Hall Showband.
The "Altenmedingen Posaunenchor" band will play at Exeter Cathedral on Monday, before returning to North Devon to play a concert with the Showband at Umberleigh Village Hall, starting at 7.30pm.
During the week, the band will also play at the Eden Project, near St Austell in Cornwall, and to residents of Meddard House in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
The trip will culminate on Friday (October 9) with a grand three-way concert with the Albert Hall Showband and the North Devon Music Centre Ensembles at the Cedars Inn, Bickington at 7.30 pm.
Visiting musicians, aged from 11 to 82, will stay with host families in Barnstaple. Their visit follows a reciprocal trip made by the town's Albert Hall Showband in July.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
Band spokesperson Pauline Hall said: "We had a wonderful time and the people who looked after us could not do enough for us.
"We were even given €700 to help towards the cost of the visit by the Uelzen Town Council."
The Umberleigh show, being held in association with the Umberleigh Twinning Association, is strictly ticket only, available from Edna Ford on (01769) 560001, priced �5. Tickets for the Cedars Inn cost �2 on the door.