Twin town band to star in concerts
THE sounds of trumpets, trombones and euphoniums will be reverberating around various venues in North Devon when the region plays host to friends from Northern Germany next week. Forty-four musicians from the village of Altenmedingen, near Barnstaple s tw
THE sounds of trumpets, trombones and euphoniums will be reverberating around various venues in North Devon when the region plays host to friends from Northern Germany next week.
Forty-four musicians from the village of Altenmedingen, near Barnstaple's twin town of Stadt Uelzen are arriving on Sunday for a seven-day stay being hosted by the Albert Hall Showband.
The "Altenmedingen Posaunenchor" band will play at Exeter Cathedral on Monday, before returning to North Devon to play a concert with the Showband at Umberleigh Village Hall, starting at 7.30pm.
During the week, the band will also play at the Eden Project, near St Austell in Cornwall, and to residents of Meddard House in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
The trip will culminate on Friday (October 9) with a grand three-way concert with the Albert Hall Showband and the North Devon Music Centre Ensembles at the Cedars Inn, Bickington at 7.30 pm.
Visiting musicians, aged from 11 to 82, will stay with host families in Barnstaple. Their visit follows a reciprocal trip made by the town's Albert Hall Showband in July.
- 1 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 2 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 3 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 4 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 5 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 6 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 7 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 8 Barnstaple flood prevention scheme at least two years away
- 9 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
Band spokesperson Pauline Hall said: "We had a wonderful time and the people who looked after us could not do enough for us.
"We were even given €700 to help towards the cost of the visit by the Uelzen Town Council."
The Umberleigh show, being held in association with the Umberleigh Twinning Association, is strictly ticket only, available from Edna Ford on (01769) 560001, priced �5. Tickets for the Cedars Inn cost �2 on the door.