TV celebrities catch crabs in Appledore
Rory McGrath and Will Mellor try their hands at crabbing for a new television series airing this winter.
TWO FAMOUS faces popped up at Appledore and Instow Regatta’s World Crabbing Championships on Wednesday.
Rory McGrath and Will Mellor took part in the competition while filming for new Channel Five show, Rory and Will, Champions of the World.
The duo joined previous champions the Floyd Team and the Trapnell Team, but did not have much luck with Will catching just nine crabs and Rory three.
The winning team, the Pile family, who named themselves the ‘Outrageous PLG’, scooped first place after catching a grand total of 66 crabs.
Peter Reveley, Honorary Secretary of the Appledore and Instow Regatta, said it was the busiest championship in years.
He said: “We had a total of 536 crabs that we counted caught by 121 different teams.
- 1 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 2 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 3 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 4 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 5 An exciting new era for marine futures in northern Devon
- 6 Bideford beat top side Truro in challenging conditions
- 7 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 8 New Castle Hill Work Hub launched to support businesses in Torrington
- 9 South West businesses fear HMRC clamp down
- 10 Hospices’ Light Up a Life appeal will support families in grief
“I have never seen anything like it, it was so busy, and all the local shops have done very well from it too.
“Rory and Will spent a lot of time in the village and were filming for a new show that will be shown in the winter.
“The weather in the morning was atrocious but the sun came out and it was a really great day.”