Tuesday turns life around and takes two awards
A YOUNG person from the Forches Estate in Barnstaple who was bunking off school and causing problems for her neighbours has just received two awards in recognition of her youth activities!
Tuesday McManus, 17, has been presented with the Barnstaple Town Council Youth award as well as the Barnstaple Link Rotary Club annual Young Achiever of the Year award.
The presentations were made at a special evening in the Barnstaple Hotel by the Mayor of Barnstaple Ian Roome and former Mayor Chris Heywood, who donated the Barnstaple Council cup during his year of office, and who is now the president of the Barnstaple Link Rotary Club.
A few years ago Tuesday was a truant, getting into trouble because she had nothing to do.
She attended the youth club on the estate, but it was not until Andie Scilly, lead youth worker, arrived at the club that she started to turn her life around.
You may also want to watch:
Tuesday explained: “The club had signs everywhere saying what we could not do, but when Andie arrived, the first thing she did was to tear them all down. She allowed us to make our own choices instead of having them forced on us and to discuss what we wanted. I realised what I had been rebelling against and that was the start of turning my life around.”
Tuesday now does over 20 hours a week actively helping others in the community, including planning sessions and mentoring. After two-and-a-half years of voluntary work she has now been employed by the Big Lottery backed Forches Community Association. She is also working at college to gain qualification as a level two Youth Worker.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 4 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 5 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
Rosie Holder, the youth support worker who nominated Tuesday for the awards, said: “Nothing is ever too much trouble for Tuesday, who regularly helps out at the Forches and Whiddon Valley Community Centre.”