Tributes to young nurse killed in A39 crash
- Credit: Archant
Crash victim described as ‘true advocate of the nursing profession’.
TRIBUTES have been paid to a young nurse who died in a car crash on her way home from work on Thursday evening.
Sasha Stewart, 27, from Holsworthy, was a staff nurse at North Devon District Hospital. She was described as a ‘true advocate of the nursing profession’.
Andrea Bell, Fortescue Ward manager, added: “Sasha was compassionate, caring and kind to all she came into contact with.
“She had not worked on the ward for very long but had become a very much-loved member of the nursing team.
You may also want to watch:
“Sasha was of a sweet and kind nature and is already sorely missed.
“Her absence has left an irreplaceable hole in our ward family. Our thoughts are with her family at this tragic time.”
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
Sasha had trained as a student nurse at the Trust over the past three years.
She completed her final placement on Fortescue Ward and began her rotation placement as a Band 5 nurse on the ward in November 2013.
Jac Kelly, chief executive, said: “The Trust board and all staff extend their deepest condolences to the family at this sad time.”
The crash on the A39 near Bude happened at around 8.30pm, although emergency services were not alerted until 1.10am.
Police said the Vauxhall Corsa overturned near Eastcott Cross and came to rest in a field.
The A39 was closed at the junctions for Morwenstow, Eastcott and Bradworthy for several hours.
Officers from Devon and Cornwall Police’s serious collisions unit are now investigating the cause of the accident.
Any witnesses who may have seen the collision, or driven through the area at or around the time of the collision, are urged to contact the Barnstaple Serious Collisions Investigation Unit on 101 quoting log 984 of March 13.