Tributes paid to ‘wonderful woman’ killed in A39 crash
- Credit: Archant
Penelope Woolaway, 67, was an avid fundraiser and cornerstone of the Appledore community.
TRIBUTES have been paid to a ‘wonderful woman’ who died in a car crash on the A39 near Bideford on Saturday afternoon.
Penelope Woolaway, 67, from Appledore, was the passenger in a red Ford Ka which was involved in a collision with a Volkswagen Scirocco.
Her husband Mark Woolaway, 56, was airlifted to Derriford Hospital where he remains with serious head injuries.
The 69-year-old driver of the Scirocco was taken to North Devon District Hospital with serious leg injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Woolaway was a key member of the Appledore community, and co-chairman of the West Quay Fundraisers which she supported since it was set up 15 years ago.
She was also heavily involved in setting up the Appledore Book Festival and in organising the Appledore Carnival.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 7 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 8 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 Brian Greenslade's name scraped off plaque after sex assault trial
Graham Stone, of the West Quay Fundraisers, said the group was ‘absolutely devastated’ and met last night (Tuesday) to pay tribute to ‘a wonderful woman who was known and loved by everyone’.
He added: “Our thoughts and prayers are with Mark and his family at this time.”
The A39 was closed in both directions from the Heywood Road roundabout in Bideford to the Roundswell roundabout in Barnstaple for several hours and reopened at 9.30pm.
Police said a formal investigation was now under way to establish the cause of the crash.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to call police on 101 quoting log number 440 of February 22.
Did you know Mrs Woolaway? If you’d like to add your own tribute, email firstname.lastname@example.org.