Tributes paid to ‘wonderful woman’ killed in A39 crash
- Credit: Archant
Penelope Woolaway, 67, was an avid fundraiser and cornerstone of the Appledore community.
TRIBUTES have been paid to a ‘wonderful woman’ who died in a car crash on the A39 near Bideford on Saturday afternoon.
Penelope Woolaway, 67, from Appledore, was the passenger in a red Ford Ka which was involved in a collision with a Volkswagen Scirocco.
Her husband Mark Woolaway, 56, was airlifted to Derriford Hospital where he remains with serious head injuries.
The 69-year-old driver of the Scirocco was taken to North Devon District Hospital with serious leg injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Woolaway was a key member of the Appledore community, and co-chairman of the West Quay Fundraisers which she supported since it was set up 15 years ago.
She was also heavily involved in setting up the Appledore Book Festival and in organising the Appledore Carnival.
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 7 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
Graham Stone, of the West Quay Fundraisers, said the group was ‘absolutely devastated’ and met last night (Tuesday) to pay tribute to ‘a wonderful woman who was known and loved by everyone’.
He added: “Our thoughts and prayers are with Mark and his family at this time.”
The A39 was closed in both directions from the Heywood Road roundabout in Bideford to the Roundswell roundabout in Barnstaple for several hours and reopened at 9.30pm.
Police said a formal investigation was now under way to establish the cause of the crash.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to call police on 101 quoting log number 440 of February 22.
Did you know Mrs Woolaway? If you’d like to add your own tribute, email email@example.com.