Tributes for former Torridge chairman
Council members for ex-colleagues remember a ‘proper character’.
COUNCIL members have paid tribute to the former chairman of Torridge District Council who has passed away.
Councillor Frank Howard MBE was an independent Torridge councillor for 20 years from 1987 to 2007.
He was elected as chairman in 1998-9 and was awarded an MBE in June 1988 for his services to the local community and for his charity work.
“I knew and remember Frank Howard very well,” said current chairman Cllr Andrew Eastman.
You may also want to watch:
“He was a proper character, outspoken and always cheerful and when he was championing a cause he was very forthright.”
Barry Parsons, leader of the council, said: “Our condolences and sympathies go out to his family and friends at this time.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 4 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 5 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon
- 8 Torridge councillors meet at AGM and re-elect councillor Ken James as Leader
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Fresh funds to continue rough sleeper support in North Devon
“Twenty years as a public servant as Torridge district councillor for Broadheath is an achievement for which anyone would be proud.
“He will have seen many changes in that time and I’m sure he left the council in a better position than when he joined it.”
Jenny Wallace, head of paid service at Torridge, added: “I remember how Councillor Howard enjoyed his time as chair of Torridge, and the great effort he put in to his civic duties.”
Councillor Howard was a Torridge district councillor for Broadheath Ward which includes Broadwoodwidger, Clawton, Luffincott, Northcott, St Giles on the Heath and Tetcott.
His funeral will be taking place at St Giles on the Heath church at 12pm on Thursday July 19.