Tributes after sudden death of Bradworthy goalkeeper
- Credit: Archant
Popular player Matt Oke found dead in car at the weekend.
THE North Devon football community has been stunned following the sudden death of Bradworthy FC goalkeeper Matt Oke on Saturday.
Police said they were called to the car park of the Treetops Inn at Week St Mary near Holsworthy at 7.30pm to find the body of a 36-year-old Barnstaple man with a gunshot wound.
No formal identification has taken place as yet, but the victim is believed to be Matt. Police said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
On Sunday a post on the Bradworthy Football Club Facebook page read ‘Very sad news at the loss of our first team keeper Matt Oke. RIP Yogi’.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager Steve Jenkins said he was ‘absolutely gutted’:
“He was not just one of my players, he was a good friend as well, I have known him for years,” he said.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 8 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
“Matt has played for a lot of clubs in the area, he had a lot of friends and everyone is still in shock. We have definitely lost a character in Matt.
“As far as football was concerned, there probably wasn’t a better goalkeeper in the area.”
Mr Jenkins said Matt had not played with the team for several weeks, but added: “Up until two months ago he has been rolling back the years this season. He was a class player and he will be missed by all of us at Bradworthy and I am sure not just here, but other clubs as well.”